The term cerebral palsy – often shortened as CP, stands for a group of conditions that affect movement and co-ordination, caused by a problem with the brain. Such brain issues occur before, during or soon after birth.
Terms such as hemiplegia or diplegia are also often associated with cerebral palsy. These refer to the parts of the body affected by cerebral palsy.
- Hemiplegia means one side of the body is affected
- Diplegia is where two limbs are affected
- Monoplegia where one limb is affected, and,
- Quadriplegia means all four limbs (and usually the whole body) are affected
The symptoms of cerebral palsy are not usually obvious just after a baby is born. They normally become noticeable during the first two or three years of a child’s life.
Problems with movement, co-ordination and development are the main symptoms.
Other possible signs in a child may include:
- delays in reaching development milestones – for example, not sitting by eight months or not walking by 18 months
- seeming too stiff or too floppy (hypotonia)
- weak arms or legs
- fidgety, jerky or clumsy movements
- random, uncontrolled movements
- muscle spasms
- shaking hands (tremors)
- walking on tip-toes
- feeding, drooling and swallowing difficulties
- problems with speaking and communication
- seizures or fits (epilepsy)
- difficulty falling asleep and/or staying asleep
- gastro-oesophageal reflux disease (GORD) – where acid from the stomach leaks up into the oesophagus (gullet)
- an abnormally curved spine (scoliosis)
- hips that pop out (dislocate) easily
- difficulty controlling the bladder (urinary incontinence)
- a learning disability – about half of children with cerebral palsy have a learning disability
- eye problems – including reduced vision, a squint or uncontrollable eye movements
- hearing loss
Best ayurveda / traditional vaidyas who treat cerebral palsy in Kerala
Mathews Vaidyar, who is now running Indian Herbal Therapy & Research Foundation at Mannarkad(Palakkad) has a different take on the treatment for Cerebral Palsy. According to him, if an affected child can be identified early in his/her life, the easier it is to cure. He claims to have cured numerous such kids, by way of herbal treatments. He has treated babys as young as 3-4 months and he claims, the herbal treatment is quite effective.
See details about the vaidyar here: Mathews Vaidyar, Indian Herbal Therapy & Research Foundation, Thenkara PO, Mannarkkad, Kerala
Ayurveda hospitals and clinics in Kerala providing specific treatment for cerebral palsy